(a) The following action(s) shall constitute a false claim and a violation of this article:
(1) Any person who knowingly presents or causes to be presented to the city, or to any officer, employee, agent, or consultant of the city, a false or fraudulent claim for payment or approval on which the city relies to its financial detriment;
(2) Any person who knowingly makes, uses, or causes to be made or used, a false record or statement to get a false, fraudulent, or inflated claim paid or approved by the city;
(3) Any person who conspires to defraud the city by facilitating the payment of a false, fraudulent, or inflated claim allowed or paid by the city;
(4) Any person who delivers, with the intent to defraud the city, goods or services of different quality or quantity than that specified in the applicable contract or specification;
(5) Any person who knowingly makes, uses, or causes to be made or used, a false record or statement to conceal, avoid or decrease an obligation to pay or transmit money or property to the city.
(b) Any beneficiary of an inadvertent submission of a false claim to the city, who subsequently discovers the falsity of the claim, and who fails to disclose the falsity of the claim to the city within 30 days of discovering the error, shall also be found to have submitted a false claim to the city.
(c) Any person found to have submitted a false claim to the city shall:
(1) Be liable to the city for an amount equal to three times that part of the claim which is false, fraudulent, or inflated;
(2) Immediately, fully, and irrevocably forfeit the entire amount of the claim;
(3) Be liable to the city for all costs and fees (including, without limitation, reasonable legal, expert, and consulting fees) incurred by the city to review, defend, and evaluate the claim; and
(4) Be subject to debarment from city contracting for a period not to exceed five years; and
(5) Be subject to criminal and civil penalties under section 1-8 of this Code.
(d) Liability under this section shall be joint and several for any act committed by two or more persons.